What is Dysania? And do you suffer from it?

What is Dysania? And do you suffer from it?

I definitately suffer from Dysania. I find this slightly bizarre because I’m a brilliant sleeper. Extraodinary, in fact, but it doesn’t matter how long I’ve been in bed, I always want to stay there, even on weekends.

Do you suffer from Dysania? Do you have any tips to help remedy this?

You can comment on twitter and facebook too.

1. Claire Suellentrop 3 years ago

Buy a CD/iPod alarm clock, set it to your favorite song, turn the volume up really high and station it in a room OTHER than your bedroom. That way you HAVE to get up to turn it off but don’t want to smash it because of some annoying beeping.

This is the only way I’ve gotten out of bed for the past three months.

Have to try that. Apparently there’s a good sleep app with a wrist band thing that wakes you up at the correct time during your sleep cycle. I’ll have to give that one a go.

• Riprogo1203 3 years ago

there is also an alarm clock that upon starting to beep rolls away to try to get away from you

• Amymewcat 10 months ago

You do just end up hating your favourite song though!

• Rebekah Philosoraptor Buswell 9 months ago

I tried this. I put my alarm across the room on top of my dresser, and I just ended up getting up to turn it off and then angrily getting back in bed and back asleep again!
      My wake-up problems didn’t resolve until I got pregnant and the blood tests at the doc’s showed I was borderline hypothyrodic (hypothyroidism). I didn’t have any problems waking up after I went on a synthetic T3. Thyroid issues are way more common than people realize. Women are more prone to it, with 1 out of 8 having an issue. Get your levels checked, and make sure they do a full spectrum blood test, not just the one indicator test.

2. Allie 3 years ago

I just got dressed on the bus and had to cram a muffin in my bag because I wouldn’t get out. And then I wouldnt get out of the shower. Sigh.

Bane of my morning existance. The bloody warm shower! What a time stealer.

3. Sneauxflocke 3 years ago

Wow.  I TOTALLY suffer from this!  As soon as the alarm sounds, it suddenly feels like the bed a softer, cozier, warmer than it’s been all night.  And then I’m late for work!  :)

4. Judy-May 3 years ago

Everyday! Every single day. Whether I go to bed late or early I like my bed far too much to want to leave it in the morning. Especially to a frosty cold day outside.

Winter kills me. Good bye morning exercise!

5. Jordan Best 3 years ago

Have a child. They don’t give you any choice.

• Hgffh 2 years ago

I love this coment! XD

• Eva 1 year ago

Love this comment!!! :)

6. I just went through this an  hour ago! ugh…  and I’ve been the same way my whole life!   Never knew there was a  name for it.

Me neither, that’s why I thought I’d post about it. Nice to know it has a name!

7. Alina 3 years ago

I definitely suffer from this! The only thing that helps me is having an early morning appointment/meeting – although I still have to set the alarm an extra half hour early. I want to train myself to just get out of bed – I think I’ll try that radio-in-the-next-room advice next.

• Kunoichi00 3 years ago

This is so true. I only get up early in the morning to pray but no matter how complete my sleep is, if I go back to sleep, I’d be in bed till 12. D; Even as a child, I couldn’t keep awake, my mum would have to dress me for school. e__e I’m trying to read the cures.

• usman 9 months ago

i set my alarm 2 hours before i have to wake up.then there are succession of alarms after the first one.i am usually awake all the time but couldn’t get out of the bed. sometimes when it is extremely important for me to get out of the bed,i try to fall from the bed ( i actually do fall) and it works like magic,pinching or biting yourself also works.

• usman 9 months ago

p/s let me know if that worked for you too,..usman_jadoon007@yahoo.com

8. Dianne 3 years ago

I SO HAVE THIS!!
    I can sleep for 15hrs and still can’t get outta bed!!
    *hate it*
    How do they determine whether you have it or not?

9. Spanish Girl 3 years ago

I have suffered from this my whole life too. When I was little my mum
    would wake me and dress me while still asleep. As and adult I just found
    it a real battle until I found my cure. My boyfriend came up with the
    idea that while he prepared his breakfast he would also prepared mine
    and bring it to me. I don’t know how but he comes in with breakfast and I
    eat it half asleep until I don’t know if the eating or the coffee wakes
    me up. (he’s been doing this for 9 years now and it works without fail) Some would call it the cure to dysania, I’d call it love :)

• Marnix 1 year ago

^he’s a keeper :)

• TheBigBadWolf20 3 months ago

Agreed, it is. I’ve been suffering from Dysania since birth, but when my ex and I decided to live together, I was able to wake up 4:30am everyday to prepare stuff for her and myself. But yeah, all was history and I have it back. :))

10. Jsmash 2 years ago

do you guys suffer from anxienty or depression? i’ve had this for the duration of my life, and as a consequence could only be bothered to attend half of high school. (the after noon half)
    i dont feel depressed or anxious, although thats what the internet keeps telling me. just seeing if there is common traits between us

• Vijay_9 2 years ago

Well I suffer from the same I can’t get up in the morning. An I went to my doctor (for a unrelated topic) and he said I get anxious fast and I suffer from anxiety “/ so could be one reason.

11. Jk 2 years ago

Been like this my whole life … just about flunked out of college the first year with 7:30 am classes … switched to afternoon and night classes and passed with flying colors. I’ve tried everything … alarm clock far away from my bed, favorite song on a timed CD player … nothing works.

12. Common Sense Knocking 2 years ago

This is about as legit as “restless leg syndrome”. Conditions get made up all the time because everyone is a hypochondriac, and hypochondriacs are cash cows. You people don’t have “dysania”, your brain just needs a few minutes to wake up in the morning, and some of you are probably undisciplined. It happens to everyone.

• devo 2 years ago

for some people it’s not a few minutes, it can be hours and hours, and interfere with their ability to function. If a condition interferes with your ability to take care of yourself, have/keep a job, have a social life, etc., then it is a disorder. Saying people are “undisciplined” implies that they have ANY control over the situation, and is insulting.

• Eva 1 year ago

Oh get over it!

• Salvatore 1 year ago

I understand why you would think like this if you don’t have this problem yourself. I do however think you would react differently if you knew the feeling.

It’s not that I don’t want to get out of bed in the morning, I just feel like I can’t. Compare it with not being able to fall asleep at night, you are really trying (lying in bed, lights off, emptying your mind, counting sheep and what not) but you just can’t. I really do try to get out of bed in the morning (setting 5 different alarms with different songs, sleeping with my curtains open) but I just CAN’T!

• Cynthia Odom 4 months ago

Don’t think that just because you don’t have restless leg syndrome, it doesn’t exist. I only get it every once in a while but the feeling I have to, simply have to, and I mean must, move my legs is compelling. The only thing that works is drugs.

13. henk 2 years ago

You need to stop acting like freaking childs and realize that we all have this problem. There is no one who like it to get out of bed to go to work on a cold whintermorning.

14. jack dawson 2 years ago

There’s a condition for everything, how about just calling it “bed is really comfy and humans are naturally inclined to comfort and warmth.” Syndrome.

15. devo 2 years ago

I have this, I sleep through ANY form of alarm. If my house was burning down I would probably sleep through it. I usually end up waking up between 1 and 2 pm, which makes it incredibly difficult to have a normal job. I also crave sunlight, so being practically nocturnal is torture. Anyway, I started taking Vitamin D, Iron, and Magnesium because deficiency in any of these can cause fatigue and I figured I should cover all of my bases. I’ve found it about 50% easier to get out of bed since I’ve been taking them for a couple of weeks.

16. ThatkidJosh 1 year ago

Lol I never would have though this to be a real problem until I saw a post about it on ifunny. Every morning as soon as I wake up I seem to fall back asleep without noticing it and I have over 18tardies to my first class so far this year. If anyone has advice for this it would be nice

17. Eva 1 year ago

Stupid excuse! Yankee Doodle stuck a feather in his cap and called it macaroni… People make names for everything. How about some discipline? Bunch of whiners.

18. Idontwa Ntyoutoknowmyname 1 year ago

Bunch of pathetic whiners trying to find a disease that justifies their laziness. Get the fuck out of bed and go to work/school. It’s easy as that!

19. holly 9 months ago

I think dysania is a form of anxiety and or depression I’d not chronic fatigue. I have been struggling with depression thos last year and recuperating from an operation- have been cooing really well lately and despite recovering from op better than expected I then had a small bug and a few minor life issues and have now backtracked to the point of being bed bound-if I get out of bed foe something I generally cancel it_ need a constant reason to stay up e.g gym but cannot afford it whilst not working_ it’s a constant cycle_x

20. Rosey Posey 7 months ago

I totally suffer form this!! I can’t remember 1 day where I haven’t been late to school/work :/ on weekends I wake up at 5pm… And on weekdays I allllwwaaaaays press the snooze button it’s as I I’m married to my bed XD I’ll wait to have kids or a great boyfriend like those people who commented below, maybe that’ll help LOL

21. Ali 7 months ago

Okay

22. TheBigBadWolf20 3 months ago

Cure? It’s simple, “motivation”.