Do You Sleep in The Nude?

Do You Sleep in The Nude?

I’m not asking this to be pervy. That was a lie. I’m always a little bit pervy but, I’m also genuinely curious. Do you like to sleep nude?

I HATE to sleep in the nude. I hate it. I don’t hate being nude. Not at all. I’m all for post coital lounging in my birthday suit. I’d do it for hours. Preferably followed by more coitus. However, when it comes to the act of sleeping, I must be clothed. The least I will wear is a fitted racer back singlet and underwear. Everything must be fitted. I went through a lace camisole phase but because I like to do acrobatics in my sleep, I’d end up in a pink-ribboned strong hold, quietly being strangled to death by my Peter Alexanders. So it’s Supre sports singlets and cottontails for me now. They must be racer back singlets too because I’m highly irritated by singlet straps slipping off my shoulders in my sleep. Seriously.

There are two reasons why I need to sleep clothed.

1. I’m terrified of having an emergency, like being burgled and having to stumble around, wasting time finding clothes, while a smacky takes off with my TV. I feel comforted by wearing clothes to bed. Like, if the smacky saw me, he’d be all ‘Shit! Is that a racer back singlet? Bitch means business.‘ and get the frock out of my house.

2. I think it’s unhygienic. If I’m not wearing any clothes at all, it’s like the whole bed is my underwear. I only change my sheets once a week and I don’t really want to sleep in a place that’s had private parts rubbed everywhere for eight hours a night. That’s why I change my undies every day. Underwear is a barrier between my junk and everything else, including my bedsheets.

What about you? Are you a nude sleeper? Why?

1. Kato 3 years ago

“Shit! Is that a racer back singlet? Bitch means business” – pretty sure I just legitimately laughed out loud.

I’m with you! Tshirt/singlet and shorts is a total necessity. Cleanliness and comfort – I’m just not into legs/arms/boobs all smooshed up against eachother without any fabric in between

2. Poppy Gets A Life 3 years ago

In answer to your question – I CANNOT sleep without knickers. Don’t know why, not sure where it came from. I’m not prudish, but just don’t feel settled until I’m tucked in with my undies on. The rest I can take or leave.

Poppy xox

3. Carly! I’ve just been catching up on your blog. *LOVED* all the New York posts, and also the ones since then – as always you are just right on the money, my dear! (And I hope Mr Smaggle is all recovered.)

Poppy xox

4. Ka 3 years ago

Gotta be undies and singlet or tshirt, my boobs are huge and drive me insane if they don’t have some kind of restraint through the night. Also must have sheet or something over me even on the hottest summer night.

5. Sar 3 years ago

I’m pretty sure you know the answer to this one but NUDE ALL THE WAY! It feels sexy to me. I hate being all caught up in clothes.I do live in Canberra though, so there are certain months that necessitate wearing polar fleece to bed, but if I can get away with it it’s nude. The idea of nickers to bed is horrible to me. If i do have to wear pyjamas/trakkies to bed I’ll still never wear undies – and I’ll have you know that that’s what doctors recommend – gotta give the girl a breather…. (And you know my qualifications Lady Smaggle)

6. Fi 3 years ago

Underwear (the bottom half kind) and nothing else.

7. Danielle 3 years ago

Nudie McNuderson… Packing pyjamas is the hardest thing to remember when staying at someone else’s house!

8. Carly 3 years ago

Oh God I have to be clothed! In the colder months I feel the cold like nothing else so unless I want to wake up with numb feet I must wear trackies and a tshirt (sexy. my boyf hates it). During summer, knickers and a tshirt or singlet. I watch a lot of crime shows – I need to be able to jump out of bed and run without f’ing around looking for underwear!

9. Jasmine 3 years ago

Pretty much the same as you, for the same reasons. I think it’s unhygenic to sleep nude, and I’d be worried about emergency situations (my father slept in his undies and once chased a would-be burglar two blocks down the street at 6am before he realised he was … chasing another man two blocks from home in his underwear at sunrise). Plus my parcel delivery man routinely knocks at the front door at 7am so I like to know I’m at least partially decent when I’m slipping my dressing gown on top. But I can’t sleep in long pjs because I hate how they tangle around the legs, or how spaghetti straps slip off shoulders.

10. lulu 3 years ago

I can’t sleep nude either! I have tried it before as my boyfriend raves about it but I just feel so uncomnfortable. I wear PJ pants (undies in warmer months) and a t-shirt, because I wriggle around too and singlet straps fall off and it annoys me. I haven’t ever really thought of sleeping naked as unhygenic, it’s just a question of comfort.

11. Sarah 3 years ago

I feel *more* comfortable in PJ’s than I do without, but I’m not completely against the nudie sleep.
    However, the odd chance that I’ll have to run out into the street in an emergency dies factor in, but more than that – if you don’t wear PJ’s, there’s a whole world of sleepwear fashion that you miss out on!!! I love my Peter Alexander!

12. Kathrynoh 3 years ago

Sleeping nude is something that never occurs to me but I do like buying nice pjs :)  I can’t wear pj tops though, it’s got to be a singlet unless it’s really cold.  The knickers under pjs is a hot topic in our household.  I’m anti and my sister is pro.  I can see the advantages of knickers sometimes when I have pj elastic issues!

13. Nessbow 3 years ago

I never sleep nude, unless I’ve accidentally fallen asleep after completing a nude-attired activity.  There are three reasons for this:
    1. The aforementioned emergency situation dilemma
    2. I find it damn uncomfortable lying in bed without my duds on.
    3. If I slept in the nude, I’d have no cause to buy pyjamas, and I love pyjamas.  I have a serious PJ collection that would get neglected if I started nappingin the buff.

14. Erin 3 years ago

Kind of loved this post, kind of cried a bit at the use of the word “coitus”.

I must wear underwear and a singlet minimum.

15. Alice 3 years ago

carly please tell me this is someone called poppy, not our poppy

16. Jessica Wright 3 years ago

OH GOD ME TOO.

I once tried to sleep naked. And got so angry at the whole experience that I punched my (then new) husband in the head because HE thought it would be a good idea. I feel violent towards my sheets unless there’s a layer of clothing between me and them.

And God forbid I sleep with pants on. Undies and a tank. BOTH FITTED. (although, rereading that it sounds stupid because does anyone wear NONfitted undies?) Pants make me feel like I’m in a wrestling match with my own legs. Not fun.

Ugh. Just thinking about sleeping naked makes my ass twitch.

17. Shannon Gillespie 3 years ago

I’m not fussed – I don’t purposely go to bed naked, but if my clothes come off and I’m too exhausted to put them on again, so be it. Coitus generally makes the bed fairly unhygienic anyway ;)
    That said, I always have pyjamas/tshirt NEXT to the bed, because otherwise Miss 2 is guaranteed to wake up and force me to freeze my bits off trying to resettle her while wishing I’d taken the time to get dressed before sprinting down the hallway.

18. BrielKrystek 3 years ago

I almost always sleep in just underwear but if it’s colder I will wear a shirt, shorts, or pants depending.

19. Melbournemaharani 3 years ago

Nope can’t sleep in the nuddy either. Both my husband and I are hot sleepers so I overheat so much surprisingly. I can only wear cotton to bed and long pants. It’s weird. I know.

I tried for a while just after I got married to wear the slinky satin nighties I’d end up either with them halfway up my neck or waking up in the middle of the night, heating up and changing into my stripey pj’s.

20. Miss Posy 3 years ago

Underwear at the absolute minimum, and it would be a total rarity of me to not wear a singlet or oversized tee… For exactly same reasons as you!

21. Magatha May 3 years ago

There really has to be a pair on undies on, unless there’s a man in the bed… and even then if I know that sexy times are definitely over and I’m going to go to sleep I’ll probably pull on some panties. The top half really depends on the weather and how lazy I’m feeling. It can range from a unwired bra to a fleece depending on my humour.

Sleeping in the nude has it’s time and place but isn’t really my cup of tea.

22. Sarah Rooftops 3 years ago

Nude! I spent years being woken up by tangled clothes getting twisted around my extremities. Nude is so much more comfortable!

23. Rachel 3 years ago

If I sleep in the nude I have horrible dreams about being at work naked.  I have to wear something and like you it has to be close fitting.

24. Fiona 3 years ago

I need undies. The rest I can do without.

25. Tara 3 years ago

Oh, such an important post.  I am so on board with the never nude sleeping.  Also minimum of singlet and underpants for me and also for the reason that i’m scared of an emergency.

The only thing that worries me about this post is that you felt the need to point out that you change your underpants every day.  Please tell me this doesn’t mean that there are people out there who DON’T change their undies every day?  I just can’t live in that world…

26. poet 3 years ago

Completely agree with you! Other reasons:

– I go to the bathroom at least once a night, and I don’t want to accidentally flash my roommates if we should be up at the same time

– It’s warmer (important for Central European winters!)

– When sharing a bed with a significant other, it would just be rude (and a turn-off) to impose my nudity on them at all times. There’s a place and time for everything… :)

However, I have found that if I’ve had a couple of nights of bad sleep, sleeping naked once may break the spell. I have no idea why that is!

27. Grit and Glamour 3 years ago

I’m with you. Like you, I have no problems shedding clothing when it warrants it, but I really don’t like sleeping in the nude, for the reasons you mentioned above, plus a third: I can’t find a comfortable body temperature when I’m sans clothes.

In summer, I may be too hot under a coverlet and sheet, but too cold with my overhead fan on and no sheet. A tank actually does make a huge difference. In winter, I absolutely FREEZE and nudity is a total no-go. Sometimes when I throw on the really heavy duvet, I get too hot. Wearing lounge-y pants and a tank or long-sleeved henley allows me to be uncovered at the top for air, while still staying toasty from my ribs down.

My husband wishes I’d slip into bed nude, and he regularly sleeps that way, with me in something beside him. Ha. I don’t care. I do not sleep well in the nude and he can just get over it.

Oh, and yeah, what about that time of the month? Um, we ALL know nudity is not an option then. Men don’t ever have to contemplate that one, do they?

28. Bek 3 years ago

I sleep nude most nights, but now I’m slightly freaked out that I won’t have the requisite racer-backed street-cred to scare off sinister night-visitors. Hmmm, off to Supre methinks.

29. Anonymous 3 years ago

I don’t really like sleeping in the nude either. I have to at least wear a t-shirt. I mostly sleep in my underwear and a huge T-shirt recycled into PJs. I cannot sleep with a bra on. Something i got from my mom who always said that I would cut my circulation sleeping with a bra on (and since she is a doctor, I just gotta believe whatever she said, didn’t I?). So yeah. UNDIES + TEES :P

30. Shawna G 3 years ago

at least undies, top can range anywhere from naked to tank top (singlet) only or even a underwire bra… years of huge boobs before my reduction, actually felt more comfy being wired in then letting them hang free. i like being able to press myself to my boyfriends back and have nothing in between.

31. Harlow 3 years ago

I live with my partner, so I like to sleep in the nude ;) However, we live in a house with many other people who have a tendancy to burst into our room early in the morning asking us about stuff ect, and usually my first instinct when this happens is to sit up/leap out of bed…so going nude is a no no. That’s alright though, because I have a whole draw full of Peter Alexander which makes up for this. I’ve got my partner into Peter Alexander too :-D
    Oh, and that is a very good point about hygiene!

32. SillyJaime 3 years ago

We sound a lot alike.  :]

No, I don’t sleep naked.  My husband always wants me to, but I have too much anxiety
    over something happening in the middle of the night.  I mean, if we
    lived alone it might be different (and I stress the ‘might’ there) but we live with his mother.  I can’t just walk around naked.  And even if I could, I think it’s weird.  The idea of sleeping naked kind of grosses me out.  I must wear underwear and a tank top (NY&Co Body Shapers ftw!) to bed.  I can’t wear anything with sleeves or legs because I get tangled.  I can’t even sleep with a top sheet.

So basically for all the things you listed.  lolz.  My husband thinks I’m crazy, but whatever.  He knows better by now.

33. Thea Ibbs 3 years ago

Naked all the way!  It’s an art form.   I twist and turn in my sleep, and if wearing PJs will end up wih them wrapped around me in the most uncomfortable manner…  Plus, there is something amazingly cosy about crawling naked into a big warm bed, piled high with doonas and blankets, and sleeping through the chilly night.

PJs have thier place as ‘lying around the house watching TV’ wear.

34. Guest 3 years ago

Sleeping nude’s nice, but simetimes you just need the security of some undies ;)

35. nova 3 years ago

I feel the exact same way about sleeping nude. No thank you. I’m full on clothed, like sweat pants and a t-shirt minimum. In case the firemen see me.

36. I’m a total sleep-in-the-nude kind of girl, which becomes problematic when I go on a group trip where I’m sharing a room and haven’t packed anything to sleep in.

37. Angelene Orth 3 years ago

I love that I had to stop and figure out what a smacky was. Luckily singlet is in my vocab after traveling to Australia this year… great post!

38. Kate 3 years ago

I totally cannot sleep in the nude either and I could never really say why, but I think your reason number 2 has nailed it for me.

39. dr stumpy 3 years ago

gotta a wear undies at the very least. In fact have gone to sleep drunk and naked (post-coitus) and woken up in undies and pjs and NO memory of putting them on – that is how strong my adverstion to sleeping nudie is.

And I checked – my partner did not dress me in a weird reverse striptese thing (which would have been super unsexy with my drunken snoring)

40. Fi 2 years ago

I sleep with only underwear on. And people think I’m weird because I wear underwear under pyjamas if I actually wear pyjamas.

41. rose 2 years ago

I can’t go nude, due to fear. I’m not as afraid of suprise flashing, but more like something biting me in uncomfortable places. I don’t move a lot in my sleep so I can wear the most loose fitting clothing ever and when it get’s too hot, I always kick my covers off when I’m sleeping.

42. Jamiemuir1234 2 years ago

Im 14 and tonight is my first night naked in bed because my girlfriend is staying round and she convinced me that it is more cosy, so far I like it my breasts went used to not being restricted in bed. But my girlfriend Ellie. Seems to like to see me naked.

43. David Colantuono 2 years ago

I’m nude, day or night (unless I have to go somewhere), so the answer to this question should be fairly obvious. I sleep nude every night (unless it’s very cold and there’s no heat, but that’s the exception, not the rule).

As for why, because it’s far more comfortable for me to sleep nude than it is to sleep with clothes on. I used to sleep with clothes on in the past. But, after many years, I realized that I hated it. Oh, I have received PJs for birthday and Christmas presents from people, but I don’t wear them at all now. When I was young, I always hated getting clothes for presents, but I didn’t know why at the time. I only wear clothes when I have to. If I don’t have to, I don’t. That’s it. Case closed. No questions asked.