My man has a fancy new toy. It’s a Gopro camera and I’ve been watching him play with it for weeks, dying to get my hands on it. Last week, he sent it up in to the air attached to a bunch of balloons. Observe.
I wanted in on all the camera fun so I decided to cook dinner while wearing it strapped to my head last night and it’s insanely cool. Beware. This vlogging shit is about to get serious. I’ve included the written instructions for the recipe too so if you just want to see the final product, skip to the end.
What You Need
3 chicken breasts (diced)
1 cup of red lentils
1 rounded teaspoon of turmeric
1 rounded teaspoon of cumin
2 teaspoons of minced garlic
three to four small tomatoes (diced)
3 boxes of frozen spinach (defrosted and water squeezed out)
chicken stock cube (disolved in a small amount of water)
1 bunch of coriander (finely chopped)
rice to serve (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
juice of one lime
What You Do
1. Heat oil in pan. Stir fry onions until brown and soft. Add cumin, turmeric and garlic. Stir fry for one minute. Add chicken. Cook until seared, around 5 minutes.
2. Add tomato, spinach and lentils. Cook for 5 mins. Add chicken stock. Add a few cups of water for lentils to cook in. More water if you want soup, less if you want stew.
3. Bring to the boil. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until lentils cook and the stew is thick. Add lime juice, salt, pepper and half the coriander.
4. Serve on a bed of rice (optional) with a scoop of plain yogurt and sprinkle with coriander.
* This recipe is gluten free if you make sure to use gluten free stock and don’t add anything like barley.
* This is an adaptation of this recipe, I just added spinach and used red lentils… and twice as much spice because I’m bad-ass like that.
* You can substitute the meat in this recipe for something like mushrooms or even tofu for a vegetarian option and ditch the yogurt for a dairy free version.
* This meal keeps beautifully in the fridge for a few days for a tasty leftovers lunch.
Oh and please do let me know what you think of the Gopro vlogging and if you’re keen to see more!