What To Expect From a Brazilian Wax.

What To Expect From a Brazilian Wax.

Feature Image and Image

You know that old cliché that women love to talk about their vaginas? Well… it probably has more truth in it than we ladies would like to admit. One of my most commented upon posts ever was when I ask Have You Ever Had a Brazilian Wax? and I received 112 answers on the post and 123 people participated in the survey. This got me thinking that there has to be women out there that have never had a personal wax of any description and that they might like some info on what to expect and how to behave.

Don’t Be Embarrassed

Beauty therapists have seen it all. IT. ALL. More than you will ever know. I used to be petrified that all beauty therapists were running home every night and telling everyone they knew about the weird vag they saw at work but trust me, this is a myth. I once met a beautician and she said she can’t really talk about weird vaginas because there just aren’t any ‘normal’ ones. She said they’re all totally different so it’s not really interesting to talk about.

Listen to the Beauty Therapist

Most people get anxious at the beauticians because they’re not sure what to do, when to turn, how to lie on the table. If your beauty therapist is good,  you should always know where you’re supposed to be.

Just Ask

If you’re not sure what you’re supposed to do with the towel/paper underwear/facial wipes then ask! It’s the therapists job to make you feel comfortable and if you’ve never been to get a wax before it can be really confusing. The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask.

Seriously… Don’t be Embarrassed

If you want someone to wax your hoo-ha they’re going to have to see it… and touch it. Also if they’re going to do a good job they’re going to ask you to put yourself in extremely unflattering positions… while naked from the waist down. It’s not for the faint hearted. Just take a deep breath and let it all hang out. It’s really hard for a therapist to wax your privates if you’re all snapped up like a Venus fly trap.

Speak Up

You shouldn’t have any residue left anywhere, you absolutely should not be bruised or burnt, all the hair should be gone and you should be leaving feeling delicious. If there’s any thing wrong you MUST speak up. I recently volunteered as a model for a waxing student at my local salon and the owner of the joint was saying how important it is that customers speak up in the waxing industry because everything happens behind closed doors, so there’s no way to employ any quality control. That’s why customer feedback is so important. It’s not bitchy, I promise. A therapist will only know that they’re hurting you if you tell them.

It’s Okay if You’ve Got Your Period

I once booked in for a bikini wax and my period (which usually takes its sweet arse time in coming) decided to march into town with a friggin’ brass band completely unexpectedly. I was mortified and dropped in to cancel the appointment. The beautician sensed what was going on and told me to get over myself, wear a tampon and that she’d go out of business if she stopped waxing every time a woman got her period. Bottom line? If you’re okay with it, they’ll be okay with it. If you’re really uncomfortable then cancel but don’t do it on behalf of the beautician. She’s really, really fine with it. Just be respectful and make sure you’re all clean down there.

I also wanted to give a shout out to my Melbourne ladies if they’re looking for an awesome salon. I go to Brazilica on Smith Street and they rock. They only do waxing so they’re really, really good at. The therapists are highly trained, really professional and really quick but also very thorough. I can’t stand salons with dim lights and romantic music. I’m there to have the therapist rip out my body hair, not seduce me. Brazilica is just a no-nonsense, non-bullshit, awesomely priced salon. Love it. This is not a sponsored post and I didn’t receive anything for editorial consideration. Occasionally I get a free Brazilian wax when they’re training students but all regular customers get that.

What are your tips for getting waxed? Any horror stories to share? How do you feel about getting waxed when you have your period?

1. reality chick 2 years ago

Interesting one – generally I avoid waxing around my period but only because the nerve endings in your hoo-ha are supposed to be ON FIRE and it hurts way more. My beautician is amazing and she gives you as much wine as you need to get through the experience. Surprisingly good pain management ;-)

Yeah the pain thing isn’t great but if I’m due, I’m due!

2. Nessbow 2 years ago

I’ve never gotten a wax during my period because I heard that you’re more sensitive to pain during ‘that time of the month’, and I figure the whole waxing thing is painful enough when my pain threshold is at it highest.

I also totally agree with your advice to speak up if there’s anything amiss. I once had a beauty therapist glue the *ahem* gates to my lady-garden closed with wax. It was awkward to tell her what she’d done, but it would have been a lot more awkward to try and walk home like that.

• Abby Feinberg 2 years ago

you win with the use of LADYGARDEN.

3. Sandy 2 years ago

Just read your ‘Have you ever had a brazilian wax post’ I honestly can’t believe the majority of commenters have never had it done!

I naively assumed most women did.

I’m not sure why anyone would opt to have pubic hair?!

Love brazilians. Have them done every 4 weeks without fail. The waxer has seen it all! Who cares?!

• Carla 2 years ago

Some of us are not sure why anyone would opt to have all their pubic hair ripped out painfully! I trim mine and wax my bikini line but all hair is natural, so it’s really just personal preference.

Besides that, I’ve heard some horror stories about brazilians (including infection! ew). Most of those came about due to a lack of consumer info and reticence to speak up when something seemed a bit dodgy. Kudos to Smaggle for putting it out in the open for discussion!

Thanks love! I’ve had some pretty dodgy experiences so thought it was important to put it out there!

I was really nervous for my first one and it felt really weird. I’m not a full on a Brazilian gal but I get the odd one here and there. It find women either LOVE them or HATE them. It’s so interesting. Thanks for commenting!

4. niki 2 years ago

For me the best ones take small bits off at a time, talk to relax and distract you and actually use their hands to press on your skin after they’ve ripped the hair out to minimise the pain. (And if they don’t miss anything – perfect ten!) Even if the above qualities differ from therapist to therapist, I don’t think I’ve ever had a waxer in almost ten years of having it done that has made me feel uncomfortable about being naked from the waist down. Pretty amazing skill.

I do, however, need to work on speaking up if they haven’t done a good job. I usually don’t say anything and see someone else next time.

I think the problem is that I don’t notice that they’ve done a dodgy job until I go home and I can’t get my undies off because they’re stuck my hooch with wax! I always mention the next time. It’s important that they know!

5. Clare 2 years ago

This post is fantastic, thank you so much!
    Do you have any suggestions for good beauty therapists in Canberra?

Um… look I’ve trialled a few and haven’t been majorly impressed. The Ellebana training school in Phillip is pretty great though. Haven’t been there for a few years but they’re really professional – you can get students to do it or teachers if you pay a bit more.

6. Spinetta 2 years ago

What I found interesting the first time I got one was how the technician (a girl about my age) asked me personal questions and we chatted about relationships like we were gal pals, when I was expecting more of a removed, doctor’s office-style interaction! Helped pass the time, though. I don’t know why I expected it to be a quick process, it took about an hour, which is reasonable considering the work involved.

I quite like them being chatty – doctors make me feel nervous and it’s all so serious. I don’t want someone anyone ever to be silent staring at my lady parts for too long!

7. always Josefa 2 years ago

brilliant post! Perfect and so true! Recently, I have ventured into the world of l-a-s-e-r and yes, have allowed a high beamed laser near my hoo-haa – but this is a story for another day xx

I’d LOVE laser treatment but can’t afford it! It’s pretty high on my list.

8. Nicole 2 years ago

I used to work as a receptionist at my sister’s beauty salon where they primarily did waxes and we literally had hundreds of Brazilian waxes per week. As you said, these girls have seen it all. They have seen every kind of vagina (and man bits too!) you can imagine and it just becomes a blur after a while. The only time they talked about clients is when there was something particularly interesting (a women with a great boob job or a man with a handsome penis etc etc) or disgusting (we’ve had women come in with poo stuck to their bum, menstrual blood down their leg, toilet paper attached the the hair. I sincerely apologise for that visual)
    These women are in the same vein as doctors when it comes to the human body; they have seen things you can’t imagine and bodies in every shape and form.
    The only thing I can recommend is come in clean. If you have your period, wear a tampon, for the love of god. And speak up if you aren’t comfortable, it’s not a personal thing. This is a job and chances are, they aren’t thinking about what you look like. They are focussing on getting the job done in the quickest and most pain free way possible and when their next break is so they can pee and sit down for a few minutes.

Totally. I think the whole world of brazilians and personal waxes needs to be de-mystified. And not everyone has to try it! Just if you want to and you’re nervous.

9. Anonymous 1 year ago

omg I’m late to this convo but … two stories only: first wax I ever had ruined the pair of pants I put back on afterwards, she’d got wax everywhere (and I do mean everywhere!) 2. mistakenly scheduled a wax for the week before I got my period. Sat in the car for half an hour afterwards trying desperately not to throw up. Pain! mate! it was a shocker! makes a HUGE difference! ps love your site I’m gonna stalk you now :D

10. ataptam 1 year ago

I am a guy and I got another wax this past weekend. Some guys, too, can appreciate the great feel associated with a professional wax.

I’ve tried to do it myself but my fingers end up getting stuck to my hair, yuck!

11. Kirsten 11 months ago

Just recently, I got a Brazilian done at a local college because the price was really cheap and it could be a learning experience. It was done in an open area with a curtain. The two students did a fantastic job, but halfway through the wax, the program coordinator said the drapes had to stay open because she had to see what the girls were doing. The room was full of people and I was completely mortified, we were halfway through and there wasn’t much point in stopping (I would have had to pay full anyways) so we kept going. Luckily one of the advisors was around, and she helped the girls quickly finish the wax. They were really awesome at keeping me relaxed and they felt sorry for me too (they didn’t know about that little rule). The wax looks fantastic, but I left the place feeling completely embarrassed and ashamed. I would have liked to know that little detail before…