How To Cope With A Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.

How To Cope With A Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day.

You know the ones I’m talking about. You wake up in the morning and smash your thigh into the end of your bed. The milk comes crashing out of the fridge and spills all over the floor. You’re 15 minutes late from cleaning up the spill. Everything fell into a quivering mess because you dared to take the day off the day before. You spend all day correcting mistakes, putting out fires and cajoling people. Finally you pick up your keys, get ready to head out the door. You feel headachey, tired, upset and low. You want to drown yourself in gin/wine/bourbon/chocolate (choose your poison). STOP. HAMMER TIME… or rather… keep reading.

Hydrate

A large percentage of headaches are caused by dehydration. Chug back a litre of water and let it settle. A FULL LITRE. Don’t get soft on me now.

Regulate Your Body Temperature

If it’s summer where you are drink a huge glass of iced water and lie very still near a fan. If it’s snowing have a hot bath and put on deliciously warm tracksuit pants. I swear that 90% of my irritation at any given time is due to being uncomfortably hot or cold.

Eat Green Things

Pizza, wine, beer, chips – they’re all a great idea in theory. In practice, they’ll make you feel even worse. Make yourself a leafy salad or a yummy green based soup. Future you will thank me, I promise.

Move

I know you want to crawl into a ball and sleep until tomorrow but stand up my petal. Put your walking shoes on. Get outside. Breathe some fresh air. Clear your head. Leave your phone at home. Don’t return for at least 20 minutes.

Let It Go

Tomorrow is another day. Think of it this way – can you remember the last time you had a day that was this bad (barring actual tragedies)? No? I guarantee this day won’t even be on your radar this coming Saturday night. Time heals all wounds. Especially shitty day wounds.

Relax

Only move onto this step once you have completed all of the above. Read a magazine. Watch your favourite TV show. Paint your nails. Put a treatment in your hair. Have  ONE glass of wine with a friend.

What are your favourite ways to get over a bad day?

Don’t forget to like Smaggle on Facebook, follow on Twitter and stalk on Instagram (I’m Smaggle… super creative right?).

1. Maria Nieto 2 years ago

Definitely treating myself to a VERY long hot bath, painting my nails, and a hot onion soup! All of these work wonders on my humour when I’m low.

Also, reading a book is the best way to forget your worries, and watching TV is also a great option, but I don’t think you get as caught up in the story when watching it than when you’re reading it! :)

That’s so true! I also try to steer clear of the internets on bad days. It somehow always makes me feel worse.

2. Monik 2 years ago

You forgot putting on music and dancing in your undies. That’s what always helps me.

Also, love the title of the post, brought back a ton of memories. Maybe I’ll move to Australia

It’s such a sweet book. I can remember reading it and thinking that the next day would be better for Alexander. And it always is for me too!

3. Elizabeth Martel 2 years ago

I tidy up!
    My bad days are usually happening when I’m at work. I just stop, drop everything, and tidy up my desk. Maybe I wipe down my surfaces and my phone and keyboard. I stack things neatly, get prepared, and write a to-do list. Then I go get a fresh cup of tea or coffee and dig into it.

I find bad days feel most bad when things get out of control. If I just take the time to reassert some control over what is happening around me I feel much better!

Cleanlinessis truly next to godliness.

• Susan Brown 1 year ago

Could not agree more

4. Michelle 2 years ago

I envision a good day, usually works!

Ah that’s what I did this morning. I was feeling a bit blah but I just got up and decided I wasn’t blah. Feeling heaps better.

5. Emma Clark 2 years ago

A couple of the weeks ago I was having a crappy day – baby was cranky, house was messy, everything was shit – and my husband made me sit on the Couch of Silence. This meant that I had to sit silently on the couch, with no activity, until he deemed I was calm enough to venture back into the world. I was NOT impressed at first, but then I did actually calm the eff down and put my head back on straight and could rejoin society.

Ha! I need a couch of silence! Love it.

6. Kerrin 2 years ago

Yoga!! It always makes me forget about my worries and frustrations.

See yoga just frustrates me. I get all worked up that I’m not making use of my exercise time.

• Susan Brown 1 year ago

Me too. I have tried yoga so many times but just cannot switch off!

7. Magatha May 2 years ago

I’m one of those people who find it very hard to relax after a bad day unless everything around me is in order… not necessarily clean… just in order. So if I’ve come home from a crap day at work I usually have to face into straightening out my house before I can sit down. I also find it really hard to sit through even a whole tv show, let alone a movie, without getting up to do something else.

My usual way of switching off a crap day is to stand in a hot (or cool in the summer) shower until I feel everything wash away. I put on clean, soft clothes and add a little music to whatever I’m doing.

God yes! That’s how I started my day… quick loungeroom fitness session and a cool down tidy up session. Perfect.

8. Harlow 2 years ago

It’s as if you knew that I had a particularly shitty day today! All I could think about on the bus (eww) home was how badly I wanted to demolish a margarita/gin tonic/fruit tingle/pinacolada/tequila sunrise) when I go home. At home it was all a huge mess, ironing, laundry everywhere, a cat that was angry with me for not being home all day.

So I showered, washed my hair, exfoliated and put on some comfy Peter Alexander pjs. Instead of that cocktail I had some pumpkin, cauliflower and grapes for dinner, and now I’m going to drink some green tea. I think the hardest thing about having a shitty day is when you get home and you just replay it over…and oveer again in your mind. Ugh. Reading this post has made it all better though :)

Ah well I actually had a shitty so that’s why I wrote it! I LOVE the hair washing one. Perfect.

9. Lizzie B 2 years ago

Great article title – I loved that book as a kid!
    And, possibly more importantly, great article. It’s so easy to get stuck in a crappy funk, but even doing a few of these things (which really aren’t that hard to achieve!) would make such a difference!

It really is! I’ve had a pretty rough few weeks (nothing major just super exhausting) and there’s no point in being a princess about it.