I adore baking but there’s only so many batches of gooey chocolate cupcakes and caramel brownies I can make before Mr Smaggle slides into a permanent sugar coma. I decided to whip up a little batch of savoury snack muffins on the weekend using just 2 simple ingredients for the flavour. Chutney and cheese. I used this recipe as the base but swapped a few ingredients to make them gluten free and a bit lower in fat.
- 2 cups of gluten free self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ¾ cup of skim milk
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup of grated sharp parmesan cheese
- Fresh cracked salt and pepper
- ½ cup tomato chutney
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celcius. Spray a mini muffin tray with olive oil.
- Sift together flour and baking powder in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine milk, eggs and olive oil. Add this to the flour mixture.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper and mix until just combined.
- Spoon mixture evenly into mini muffin trays. Make a little hole in each muffin and fill with chutney. Using a skewer, swirl the chutney through the mixture.
- Bake for ten minutes or until golden brown.
These are delicious when you first take them out of the oven and taste great a few days later as well, once all the delicious chutney has soaked in. These would be perfect for a party or picnic snacks or to take to work when it’s your turn to do morning tea. Warning: They are EXTREMELY addictive.