LUNCH BOX ENVY: Quick and Healthy Chicken Salad Made from Taco Night Leftovers.by Carly Jacobs
Living in a two person household, I have a bit of a struggle trying to use leftover food from our dinners that I inevitably over cater for. It’s not economical to cook half portions of family sized meals so we’re usually left with bits and pieces from several dinners in the fridge at the end of the week. Here’s a super quick and easy recipe I made on the weekend with all of our dinner leftovers.
- 1 cold poached chicken breast (about 250gms)
- 2 cups shredded ice berg lettuce
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 tomato, diced
- ½ avocado, sliced
- Taco Sauce
- Shredded cheese
- Shred the poached chicken and place in a zip lock bag with the taco seasoning. Shake well to coat chicken.
- Place lettuce, tomato, avocado and chicken in 2 bowls.
- Top with taco sauce and shredded cheese to serve.
Being my mother’s daughter I hate wasting food so getting a little creative with the containers of random leftovers in my fridge makes me a very happy little sausage. This recipe could also work with reheated mince meat or even tofu and beans.