I was browsing through Netflix the other day and in the ‘suggested watching for Carly‘ section, Dawson’s Creek popped up. You nailed it Netflix. Well done. I’ve since had a constant loop of DC in the background as I go about my day. Here’s a list of things that I’ve noticed this time around that barely registered the first time I watched it.
12 Obversations From Re-Watching Dawson’s Creek As An Adult
1. They use ‘puke’ as both a noun and an insult. Like ‘You’re being a total puke.’ It’s magical.
2. Dawson beats the shit out of Pacey for calling him an ‘Oompa Loompa‘ and then explains himself by saying that those words are like ‘kryptonite’ to him. I just can’t even.
3. Joey has breasts Dawson has genitalia and this is an actual line in the show.
4. Jen dresses like this.
Typically wearing chunky slip on shoes, little spaghetti strap dresses and vampy lipstick. She also sometimes wears little gem clips in her hair. All of this pleases me greatly.
5. Katie Holmes is totally weird about her own arms. She just doesn’t have any idea what to do with them. She also delivers 90% of her lines out of the side of her mouth while awkwardly not looking anywhere in particular. She’s like a new-born praying mantis.
6. They play truth or dare like they’re in court under oath. In real life people just lie. In Dawson’s Creek they cry and start monologing about all their ‘feelings’ and ‘hormones’.
7. They are all very aware of their ‘hormones’.
8. Pacey was responsible for a large percentage of teenage lady bonerism in the late 90s and it’s nice to note his appeal is transcendent. Pacey is timelessly shaggable.
9. Joey Potter singing On My Own in the episode ‘Beauty Pageant’ is one of my favourite things that’s ever happened. On a totally metaphorical level I mean. The river is like the creek and Joey is like Dawson’s Eponine. Layers people. This show is deep.
10. There’s this amazing moment where Joey and Dawson tell each other how sad they would be if the other one died. It was probably the most pointless scene of the season.
11. Joey’s older sister Bessie has an African-American boyfriend and it’s apparently the biggest deal in the world. Joey constantly refers to her ‘interacial and illigitimate‘ nephew and her sisters ‘black boyfriend‘. Its strangely backwards for 1999 and super cringey to hear in 2014.
12. Dawson is a ligitimate arse pelican. He’s just a bit of a selfish jerk, most of the time.
There’s so much awesome in this photo, I’m having trouble communicating it. James and Katie got the Venga Bus Dance Party brief for the photo shoot while Michelle and Josh got the Uncomfortable Yet Smouldering brief. Josh is wearing thongs. James looks like he just dropped a giant fart. You can see all of Michelle’s underwear through her dress and I don’t know what the hell Katie is doing but I think it’s the most stuff I’ve ever seen her doing ever.