12 Observations From Re-Watching Dawson’s Creek As An Adult

12 Observations From Re-Watching Dawson’s Creek As An Adult

I was browsing through Netflix the other day and in the ‘suggested watching for Carly‘ section, Dawson’s Creek popped up. You nailed it Netflix. Well done. I’ve since had a constant loop of DC in the background as I go about my day. Here’s a list of things that I’ve noticed this time around that barely registered the first time I watched it.

12 Obversations From Re-Watching Dawson’s Creek As An Adult

1. They use ‘puke’ as both a noun and an insult. Like ‘You’re being a total puke.’ It’s magical.

2. Dawson beats the shit out of Pacey for calling him an ‘Oompa Loompa and then explains himself by saying that those words are like ‘kryptonite’ to him. I just can’t even.

3. Joey has breasts Dawson has genitalia and this is an actual line in the show.

4. Jen dresses like this.

Screen Shot 2014-01-27 at 11.46.19 am

Typically wearing chunky slip on shoes, little spaghetti strap dresses and vampy lipstick. She also sometimes wears little gem clips in her hair. All of this pleases me greatly.

5. Katie Holmes is totally weird about her own arms. She just doesn’t have any idea what to do with them. She also delivers 90% of her lines out of the side of her mouth while awkwardly not looking anywhere in particular. She’s like a new-born praying mantis.

6. They play truth or dare like they’re in court under oath. In real life people just lie. In Dawson’s Creek they cry and start monologing about all their ‘feelings’ and ‘hormones’.

7. They are all very aware of their ‘hormones’.

8. Pacey was responsible for a large percentage of teenage lady bonerism in the late 90s and it’s nice to note his appeal is transcendent. Pacey is timelessly shaggable.

9. Joey Potter singing On My Own in the episode ‘Beauty Pageant’ is one of my favourite things that’s ever happened. On a totally metaphorical level I mean. The river is like the creek and Joey is like Dawson’s Eponine. Layers people. This show is deep.

Screen Shot 2014-01-27 at 11.19.43 am

10. There’s this amazing moment where Joey and Dawson tell each other how sad they would be if the other one died. It was probably the most pointless scene of the season.

11. Joey’s older sister Bessie has an African-American boyfriend and it’s apparently the biggest deal in the world. Joey constantly refers to her ‘interacial and illigitimate‘ nephew and her sisters ‘black boyfriend‘. Its strangely backwards for 1999 and super cringey to hear in 2014.

12. Dawson is a ligitimate arse pelican. He’s just a bit of a selfish jerk, most of the time.

Also this.

Screen Shot 2014-01-27 at 12.01.12 pm

There’s so much awesome in this photo, I’m having trouble communicating it. James and Katie got the Venga Bus Dance Party brief for the photo shoot while Michelle and Josh got the Uncomfortable Yet Smouldering brief. Josh is wearing thongs. James looks like he just dropped a giant fart. You can see all of Michelle’s underwear through her dress and I don’t know what the hell Katie is doing but I think it’s the most stuff I’ve ever seen her doing ever.

Have you ever re-watched a must loved show as an adult? Was it weird? Also were you a ‘Creekster’?

1. Nessbow 9 months ago

Would you believe that I’ve never seen Dawsons Creek? I wasn’t allowed to watch it as a tween and I haven’t yet had the pleasure as an adult.

Smaggle 9 months ago

OH EM GEE. Watch it girlfriend. I think you’ll love it.

2. shoppegirls 9 months ago

I loved Dawson’s Creek and endeavour to watch it again with both my daughters. It will be interesting watching the show again and taking it all in with different eyes. As well as encountering the thoughts of both my daughters.

Smaggle 9 months ago

Yeah I wonder how it will translate. I started watching Buffy as an adult having not watched it as a teenager and I have to say, I’m struggling. I’ll keep trying!

3. Tahlia Meredith 9 months ago

SO with you on number 5 – she’s super awkward turtle. Although I hadn’t noticed the arms, so clearly now I need to watch it all again ;)

Smaggle 9 months ago

She IS An awkward turtle. The arms are unbearable. I’ve ruined it for now I promise.

4. Dawsons Chick 9 months ago

This is one of the greatest articles I’ve ever read on Smaggle. I always was a Dawson fan… so much, my first email was dawsonschick and my password to everything (ie. ICQ, MSN) was always ‘capeside’. Well done Carly!

Smaggle 9 months ago

HA! Thank you… although now I’m freaked out. I feel like someone I went to school with at an email of dawsonschick…

5. cilosophy.blogspot.com 9 months ago

No, but I watched Sex and the City when I was married, then when I became single. Completely different meaning.

Times have changed for the female stars of that show – Michelle Williams is now super cool and talented, and Katie Holmes married Tom Cruise.

And very few teenagers talk like that.

Smaggle 9 months ago

Oh weird! I imagine that WOULD change the meaning of Sex and the City! Michelle Williams is certainly not as irritating as she was in the 90s but I can’t say Katie Holmes life choices have been that brilliant. When has marrying Tom Cruise ever worked out for anyone? :-)

6. Infoxicating Lady 9 months ago

I’ve also decided to re-watch Dawson’s – just because I can – and the first thing I noticed was how dated the fashion was/is

Smaggle 9 months ago

It’s amazing. All the open shirts over all the undershirts ALL THE TIME.

7. Ali 9 months ago

well, now I feel a pressing need to re watch Dawson’s creek.
    my husband and I are re-watching Coupling at the moment (British show from maybe 2001-ish?) for the first time since watching it when we first got together. we can appreciate it now for being a hilarious show, but it’s reminding me of how awkward it was to watch at first as a couple in a new relationship – considering the whole show is basically about the embarrassing things people do in new relationships. top stuff.

Smaggle 9 months ago

Feel the pressing need and then succumb. It will be totally worth it. Coupling is AMAZING!

8. Sarah Destrehan 9 months ago

I am doing the same thing right now with the original Beauty and the Beast. I loved this show as a child, and I think it’s why I’m drawn to all things starring Ron Perlman. Hello, Hellboy! It’s so campy and overdone in a funny way as an adult but also still so endearing and sappy in love at the same time. I can’t wait til he starts hunting for his love child. Aah, revisiting childhood.

9. Oh you my friend are pure gold. And those chunky heels and strappy tops – got to love the late ’90s – so often overlooked in favour of the ’80s.

Smaggle 9 months ago

I know! Even though sometimes I look at chics like Buffy and think their hair is weird I generally think that lacey, goth look is quite beautiful… but then I was raised on Charmed so I don’t think I’ll ever get it out of my system!

10. Veggie Mama 9 months ago

I watched it again, episode one til the bitter end, about 5 years ago. On my couch, eating noodles. it was fucking fantastic. Everything was amazing, no complaints from me. On My Own is still one of the best things to happen on TV. Second only to this: http://replygif.net/i/347.gif

Smaggle 9 months ago

I can’t wait to see that in real life! Do you remember specifically what was happening when this miracle face occured?

• Veggie Mama 9 months ago

Sure do! Don’t want a spoiler though, do ya?

Smaggle 9 months ago

Is it a death of some kind? Like an older character? (If my memory serves me correctly.)— Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

• Veggie Mama 9 months ago

your memory serves, and that death is pretty brutal. But this face isn’t from that!

Smaggle 9 months ago

Oh! Just tell me!!! Most big events happen 4 or 5 times in Cape Side so I’m sure it won’t spoil much! — Sent from Mailbox for iPhone

• Veggie Mama 9 months ago

it does… it changes everything. but that should be enough of a clue!

11. ddgdaily 9 months ago

ba ha ha ha… I am cackling outloud like a crazy person. “Legitimate arse pelican” consider yourself mine!! Best insult ever. x

Smaggle 9 months ago

Take it honey! I think I first read it on Helen Razar but I really want it to become part of the every day vernacular.

• ddgdaily 9 months ago

If they can make ” totes amazeballs” a thing surely this will happen :)

12. Bec 9 months ago

I re-watched most of the first season when I was sick last year and could barely stand Joey’s eye rolling,awkward body language and general stinky ‘tude the second time around! Also the Halloween episode almost made me crap my pants.

Smaggle 9 months ago

Oh my god totally! It was freaky! Joey is just a little ball of negatively.

13. Melissa Mathews 9 months ago

Loving the Les Mis friend zone ref, poor Eponine! That last photo perfectly showcases the awkwardness of “new born preying mantis” Holmes. Might just have to re-watch this now!

Smaggle 9 months ago

You really should. It’s a total game changer.

14. 26 Years & Counting 9 months ago

I remember seeing some of 7th Heaven on tv and getting totally creeped out by it! I was only a casual watcher of Dawson’s Creek, but enough to remember it for ALL THE ANGST haha.

Smaggle 9 months ago

Oh it is ALL THE ANGST. It’s also all the INCREDIBLY WEAK PLOT LINE! I swear none of the characters have any substance and they keep breaking up with each other for no real reason.

15. Kathryn OHalloran 9 months ago

Jen’s Gran was the most awesome character on that show. Pretty much every line she had was offering people food! Well, when she wasn’t trying to pull Jen into line.

Smaggle 9 months ago

Totally! Jen was actually just really super rude to her! I rememeber watching it and thinking that my mother would kill me if I spoke to my grandmother like that!

16. Elisa 9 months ago

I cannot overstate how much I enjoyed this post. So much awesome, it would have taken the entirety of Dawson’s Creek to fit it in.

Carly Jacobs 5 months ago

I have a lot of thoughts about bad 90s drama shows. :-)

17. Alexandra Brovco 8 months ago

That group photo and your description of it had me in tears. THE LAUGHS, THE LAUGHS.

I never watched Dawson’s Creek when I was younger. Last year my brother was on a kick, watching teen dramas of all kinds and sizes. He started innocently enough with Friday Night Lights, then moved to One Tree Hill “because they play basketball, it’s a sports show”, and gradually moved to Dawson’s Creek. I attempted to watch it with him for Pacey, but I just couldn’t. Nope.

Carly Jacobs 5 months ago

There’s no point in even trying to watch it as an adult. There will be no magic. Also I’m pretty sure I actually HAD that poster and didn’t realise how bad it was.