9 Observations from Re-watching Ghost Whisperer as An Adult

9 Observations from Re-watching Ghost Whisperer as An Adult

Okay. I’ve officially hit the rock bottom on Netflix. I’m over Dawson’s Creek now. Once everyone has dated everyone at least once all the magic disappears from the show. I’ve now moved on to Ghost Whisperer. It has the most shallow plot of any television show I’ve ever watched but for your entertainment, as well as my own, I’m going to dissect the storyline. Don’t feel like you need to  concentrate. A toddler could pick up the inaccuracies of  this beautiful television disaster. Many of these points are related to the fact that she supposedly lives in a small town and like the super sleuth I am I’ve figured out that this is practically impossible.

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 8.09.00 pm

9 Observations from Re-watching Ghost Whisperer as An Adult

1. It’s a massive secret that Melinda can communicate with ghosts… yet she tells at least 2 total strangers about her ‘gift’ every single episode. She also lives in a small town, so how she even comes across so many people who she’s never met before is mathematically questionable.

2. She paraphrases like a motherfucker. A ghost will be all ‘Tell him I love him. Tell him I will never forget his kindness, the way he always believed me. Tell him I will always be with him in spirit and that I want him to move on. I want him to find someone else to love. Tell him not to waste his love… it’s too precious. I want him to smile when he thinks of me and be happy that I’m in a better place.’ Then Melinda will get all misty eyed and say ‘She loved you. She wants you to be happy.’ I just sit there shaking my head and thinking that the translation of the final words of a deceased love one is the worst time to be getting all interpretive.

3. Considering the ‘small town’ they live in, Jim is an extremely busy paramedic.

4. Again with the ‘small town’ nonsense. Melinda has been living there for 5 years and the only people she actually knows the names of are her husband and which ever secondary character is working in her antique store at the time. Every one else seems to be brand new to her.

5. Melinda does everything really slowly. It will take her like 5 lines of dialogue to slice a mushroom. I’m there being all ‘Jim’s waiting for you to slice the bloody mushroom so HURRY UP! Do you want to ruin the risotto and disappoint your impossibly handsome husband?’. It’s equally as infuriating watching her gift wrap a package at her antique store. *twitch*

6. Often Melinda will find a ghost, start researching them and then figure out that they died in the Grandview village square/high school/local library exactly a year ago. This news is always shocking to her. I’m like ‘Bitch! You live in a small town. How did a murder that took place there less than a year ago escape your attention?’.

7. All the famous people are in it. So far pop ups include Abigail Breslin, Dominique Swain, Madeline Zima, Mike and Jesse from Breaking Bad, Kives from Hello Ladies, Lacey Chabert… It’s like watching a super lame and not funny Seinfeld.

8. Melinda dresses so beautifully. 50% of the reason why I watch Ghost Whisperer is because of her antique lace nightgowns, embroidered coats, pretty smock tops and ridiculously gorgeous falsies. She also has spectacular breasts.

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 8.10.53 pm
Image

9. I cannot look at Cameryn Manheim without hearing ‘Okay Toby, fuck off!’ in my head.

Screen Shot 2014-02-16 at 8.06.08 pm

Are you a Ghost Whisperer fan? Or am I literally the only one? Do you have any shows that you love that are completely stupid?

1. Alisa Muir 10 months ago

I remember that show. Hated it back then… probably still do.. lol

I am rewatching Gilmore girls.. for the like 3rd time.
    Still rewatch Sex in the city.
    Also with the kiddos been slowly watching Fresh prince of bell air and Full house. Haha.. love them. And my kids are totally impressed I can do the whole fresh prince rap (very badly of course).

Smaggle 10 months ago

Gilmore Girls is AMAZING! I watched the whole series when I was in jewellery school. I had a bead project that took an entire weekend and I watched it while doing that. It was amazing.

Smaggle 10 months ago

I can also do the whole Fresh Prince rap. *fist bump*

2. Nicole 10 months ago

You were an adult when this show came out! I’ve never seen it, I think I have an allergy to Jennifer Love Hewitt. Her and Melissa Joan Hart.

I’m also one of those people that grits their teeth at stupidly overlooked mistakes or inconsistencies. Especially time-line related stuff. On the third season of a show I watched they talked about it only been a year since what happened in the pilot episodes. I was flabbergasted. The most glaring ridiculousness being the high school in the show had THREE different “decade dances” in one year. Where does that happen in reality?!

I aim to be more and more like Janeane Garofalo and her characters every day.

Smaggle 10 months ago

Only sort of! I was still living at home with my parents and I was at uni! :-) Ha the decade dances! I remember them. I loved Sabrina The Teenaged Witch. I just love shitty TV though.

• Nicole 10 months ago

We might be even then because the TV show I was talking about with the triple decade dance ridiculousness (50s, 60s, and 20s…AND they almost did 80s as well. FOUR decade dances in one year!) was The Vampire Diaries. Shitty TV at it’s best.

Smaggle 10 months ago

I my god I haven’t seen that… but I do watch Pretty Little Liars. Let us never speak of this again.

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella 10 months ago

I loved that show! Most of the reason was that I loved her clothes and her antique store!

Smaggle 10 months ago

Me too! It’s all about the clothes!

4. Sarah Destrehan 10 months ago

I think you’re right that I watched that show purely for the adorable clothes. Sadly, it never occurred to me before how unsmall her small town must be.

Smaggle 10 months ago

I think I wasn’t really paying much attention the first time. The plot of this is ridiculous.

5. Mr and Mrs Romance 9 months ago

Totes agree on the JLH boobs shout-out, Smags, but there’s no way I can watch the show anymore – even with her hypnotic orbs whisking me away on a journey all of my own. No, the reason I can’t – just can’t – do it is closely linked to a lot of the flaws in the show you’ve mentioned already.
    The thing that really grates my cheese is this: she’s a clairvoyant, right? A seasoned ghost spotter who goes around like that nosy old moo from Murder, She Wrote (don’t get me started on Landsbury btw – aka Paul McCartney) getting involved in everyone else’s business. But every time she sees a ghost or senses something from The Veil, she shits herself!
    It’s like she’s never seen a spook or spectre before in her entire life. But she has. Just last week!
    Anyway, rant over. Thanks for listening.
    Jx