10 Things to Do This Weekend

10 Things to Do This Weekend

Mr Smaggle and I are so boring when it comes to the weekend. We wake up late, eat breakfast on the couch in our underwear, walk to the city, walk home and then work on our laptops while watching a non-descript sitcom that only requires a partial amount of our attention. Occasionally we’ll have dinner with friends but that’s about as complicated as it gets.

I find the biggest problem with doing something cool on the weekend is actually thinking of the cool thing. It’s far too much pressure to think of things on the spot, so I’ve knocked together a wee little list of lovely things for you to do this weekend.

10 Things to Do This Weekend

Woman reading a book

1. Go ice skating

Pop on some woollen tights and a little skater skirt? Have a hot chocolate? Kiss your lover on the side lines?

2. Get dressed up for bed

Wear black silk pyjamas? A delicious lace camisole? Nothing but perfume and satin eye mask?

3. Go for a drive in the country

Wear your adventure clothes? Go for a long walk in the bush? Eat apples? Take a thermos of hot coffee?

4. Choose your signature drink

Whisky neat? Cabernet merlot? An old fashioned?

5. Sign up for a course

Coffee making? Flower arranging? Photography?

6. Take your book to a cafe

Order a delicate cake? And a pot of fragrant tea? Escape for a few hours?

7. Go to the theatre

Wear opera gloves? Drink champagne? Bellow ‘Marvelous darling!’ at the curtain call and give a standing ovation?

8. Try a food you’ve never tried before

Blood pudding? Sweet breads? Truffles? Chicken feet?

9. Be a tourist in your own town

Visit your local art gallery? Have dinner at the fanciest restaurant you can afford? Hire a limo for a city tour?

10. Take a nap

A post breakfast doze? An afternoon session? A pre-party refresher?

What are your weekend plans? Doing anything a little bit different this weekend?

I’m having some girlfriends over for drinks tonight and then I’m doing some major Smaggle behind-the-scenes maintenance. You won’t even know I’ve done it but it’s going to take most of the weekend. Sigh! I might schedule some time to take myself shopping too. I think Mr Smaggle is eating my underwear. I’m down to about 3 pairs.

1. 26 Years & Counting 7 months ago

I am terrible at choosing what to do. And I live by the beach so I have too many options probably. I try to be the (free) tourist in my own town the most though.

Smaggle 7 months ago

I’m just not a beach person. I love rainforrests. That’s my natural habitat. I’m more of woodland fairy than a mermaid. Which town do you live in? I think I made it up that you live in Melbourne?

• 26 Years & Counting 7 months ago

Brisbane :)

Smaggle 6 months ago

Good to see I’m still gap filling any details I’m not sure of. Brisbane. Locked in.

2. Erika 7 months ago

Chores at a leisurely pace, minor shoe maintenance, resting and helping a friend get her garage in order. May even get to play in the garden for a bit!

Smaggle 7 months ago

I LOVE to potter around on the weekends. Mr Smaggle is away this weekend so I’m going to clean things, watch silly movies and sleep in the middle of the bed. I’m so excited!

• Erika 7 months ago

Amazing how much more can be done when you’re alone….

• 26 Years & Counting 7 months ago

I wish I had the skill (patience haha) to potter around on the weekends.

3. Tahlia Meredith 7 months ago

Exploring Emporium in Melbourne (I’m *particularly* interested in Muji after you mentioned it the other day), hang out with my sister doing a jigsaw, cos we’re THAT cool. Chillin, basically :) I think tourist in your own town is a terrific idea and definitely something I want to try!

Smaggle 7 months ago

Oh it’s SO GOOD! Muji will change your life. It’s amazing. Jigsaw sounds so pleasant. My mum used to do jigsaws with my aunt and we had them framed all over our house.

4. Caz 7 months ago

It’s Victoria Day here in Canada (our version of the Queen’s Birthday long weekend) so 6 of us are jumping in the car (well 2 cars) and road-tripping down to Portland for a weekend of microbreweries, food trucks, and all things hipster. I’m so excited, it’s been ages since I’ve been on a proper road trip!

Smaggle 6 months ago

Oh lovely! That sounds amazing! How was it? I think road trips are totally underated. I love them!

• Caz 6 months ago

It ended up being totally fab! None of us have been on holiday together before (potential for 12-hours of driving in silence eh?) but we had a wonderful time and totally didn’t hate each other by the end. Plus Portland is just a weird and hipster as everyone says it is, but parts of it really reminded me of Melbs -especially the inner north (Fitzroy, Brunswick etc.) and they have the same trams!

5. We had a great weekend! Got lots of work done on the house, caught up with friends, spent quality time together and did a bit of chilling out. The perfect mix for us, really.

Smaggle 6 months ago

Sounds blissful! Mr Smaggle was away so I did lots of faux single things. It was amazing. I saw your spare room! I’m so jealous, I feel like I’ll be a true grown up once I have a spare room.