This week on the ol’ podcast, Kelly and I are talking about we got to where we are.
We’ve had a lot of people asking us this recently and it totally makes sense. We have quite a few regular listeners at Straight & Curly, many people who didn’t know us before we started podcasting and they have no idea where we sprung from. I’ve had quite a few new readers introduced themselves recently (hello!) so I thought I’d pop together a list of things you may or may not know about me – just in case your’e curious. If you’re not, just skip this post and come back on Friday. There’ll be something helpful waiting for you then.
19 things you (maybe) didn’t know about me
1. I have two degrees. One in education and one in arts majoring in English and journalism. It was very funny back in the day when I first started blogging, some traditional journos would attack bloggers for being unskilled job stealers. I hate that argument anyway (there are HEAPS of amazingly talented people who never went to uni) but I did go to uni and it was hilarious to rebut the accusation of ‘uneducated’ with my double degree.
2. I’ve worked in lots of jobs including many newsagents, a theatre, child care, I was drama teacher and a special needs teacher for years and now I do internet things full time.
3. I’ve been blogging at Smaggle for ten years this September. Smaggle has been an income earner for me for about 5 years now.
4. I was raised in Canberra so that’s why I’m there a lot.
5. I’m a qualified watch technician and jeweller.
6. I’ve never owned a pet of my own (not including family pets) and I’m gagging to get a big snuggly, scruffy dog that looks like a teddy bear.
7. I can do the splits but I really shouldn’t.
8. I don’t cry often. I’m not a very emotional person. I’m either happy almost all of the time or sad/angry for a very specific reason. Having said that I do PMS like a mofo. It’s not pretty.
9. Mr Smaggle and I have been together for 11 years and I asked him out. True story.
10. I’m an actor and I perform in plays sometimes. I can also remember most of the lines of every play I’ve been in which is a frustrating waste of brain space.
11. My nails are almost always painted my Smaggle/Crochet Coach signature turquoise.
12. When I was in primary school I shaved one of my eyebrows in half because I wanted to see if the razor was working. It was.
13. In year 12, I got 100% on a maths statistics exam. I think it’s the only time I’ve ever been awesome at maths.
14. I’m a full body speaker. There’s hands, legs and arms involved in every conversation and I’ll often stand up to act out a scenario if I fear you’re not getting the full effect from the sitting down edition.
15. I very recently set off the whole building fire alarm at my mate’s new apartment building when I left after having a few drinks. And do you know what I did? I RAN AWAY and watched from around the corner as people filed out of the building in their bathrobes, clutching their terrified pets. In my defence, the was no glass on the button and that’s illegal so it wasn’t really my fault. I thought it was the button to open the door. It was not.
16. I exercise several times a week, every week and have done for 15 years. It’s just a brain thing I have to do. Keeps my butt nice and pert too.
17. I eat extremely well but my weird comfort foods are frozen lasagne, yogurt with fruit you get to stir in, any kind of ice cream, Sour Patch Kids, Killer Pythons and plastic cheese.
18. I never answer the phone unless I know who the call is from. Even then I often don’t answer. I like emails. They’re grand.
19. I eat eggs every day.
21. I like working. I always have, even when I was in jobs I didn’t love. I like getting up, getting dressed and getting shit down. I don’t live to work but I enjoy being busy and having lots of stuff to do.
Now that I’ve told you all about me, tell me some things about you…
What’s your name?
Where do you live?
What do you do with your days?
What’s your drink order?
The funniest thing that’s ever happened to you?
So how are you? What have you been up to? Pick a few questions (or all of them!) and let me know!