ddictions are fascinating. Some people can smoke two cigarettes a week without a problem and other people need to chain smoke from the moment they wake up in the morning. Some people can eat just the right amount of food they require and other people feel the urge to eat to the point of discomfort. It’s one thing to be addicted to something that’s bad for you – like alcohol or marijuana – but what if you’re addicted to something that’s not necessarily bad for you? Like coffee.
There are thousands of studies on coffee but there’s very little solid proof that coffee is bad for you. There’s also very little solid proof that coffee is good for you and that’s the dilemma. Is addiction always bad even if the subject of the addiction isn’t? This week on Straight and Curly, we’re discussing coffee addiction and a few things you might not know about the caffeine bean.
– There’s no real reason to give up coffee unless you’re consuming lots of additional calories with your coffee in the form of milk and sugar.
– If you’re particularly sensitive to coffee and you experience jittery cortisol highs, you might want to avoid it.
– There’s little point in having a coffee first thing in the morning because your cortisol levels are already high. You’re best to wait until mid-morning or mid-afternoon when your cortisol levels drop and you can use the coffee to top you up.
– There have been a few studies that support the theory that if you have a few extra kilos of belly fat, ditching coffee may help you shift it. This isn’t a hard and fast rule but it can’t hurt to try!
– Everyone metabolises caffeine differently so listen to your body and figure out what works for you.
This week on Straight and Curly, Kelly and I are talking about giving up coffee. It’s a really interesting episode actually because even though I drink coffee, I only drink it if other people are. Kelly is a full blown addict and gave it up for a full month just for this podcast. It’s definitely worth a listen.
Oh and this week on Sweet Teen Club, Stacey and I are talking about The Wrong Kind of Girl from Sweet Valley High. It’s just about the weirdest book in the world and the first time SVH really deals with ‘that’ kind of girl. You know, girls with ‘reputations’. We actually have no idea what they mean because they never specify but it’s endlessly hilarious.
So where do you sit on the whole coffee thing? Are you addicted? Take it or leave it? Or don’t like it at all?
[divider type=”standard” width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”]
P.S Oh hey you should totally sign up for my newsletter. It’s full of cool shit.