We’re all tired. So tired.
Everyone has been affected by the pandemic, most of us directly. Half the world are entering their second year in lockdown and even though vaccines are being rolled out worldwide it’s still going to be a while before things go back to whatever ‘normal’ will be again.
This virus doesn’t discriminate and we’ve all had to do hard things. Give up work, work from home, work from home with kids. Stop socialising, stop travelling, stop visiting each other in our homes. Close businesses, lose incomes. At worst we’ve lost lives. At the time of recording this podcast 2.8 million people have died worldwide. Our mental, physical and emotional health has taken a collective battering and it’s still not over. We’re exhausted. Our self-care habits have gone out the window.
Then there’s the sense of impending doom about the global financial recovery. What will international travel look like? When can families living abroad see each other again? What kind of an impact has the need for next-level hygiene had on the waste reduction we were working so hard to achieve? Will CBDs ever be the same again now we know people can work effectively from home? Will we ever get our self-care habits back on track?
It’s a mess.
This week’s friend guest is one of my best friends on the planet, Fliss. She’s also a psychologist so not only is she an amazing friend she’s also pretty useful to have on the podcast. Mainly because she’s so calm and serene – you’ll feel better just listening to her.
In this episode, we chat about…
- Solutions for long and short term stress
- Self care habits for 2021
- Coping with the constant triggering of our fight, flight or freeze impulse
- The importance of connection during difficult times
- Tips for grounding when you’re feeling out of control
- Coping tips for getting through the day
- A proper science-y explanation for what’s happening in our brains right now
- Engaging and re-engaging our resilience in the long term
- Tips for resilience for when you’re exhausted
If you’re feeling like you’re not really coping well with the state of the world, this episode is for you.
Reviews and ratings make the podcasting world go around – I’d absolutely love it if you could review the podcast here.
Don’t forget to sign up for my newsletter. I’ve started sending weekly newsletters again and they’re full of useful things!