This week for Make Ahead Meals Monday, I’ve created another low carb lasagne but this time my hero ingredients are mushrooms and spinach. I know there are lots of people who hate mushrooms but I’m like ‘Go stand over there with the coriander and tofu haters because I have NOTHING to say to you.’
Mushrooms are like delicious little flavour sponges and they are seriously low in calories. I also used frozen spinach in this recipe because it’s cheap and full of delicious nutrients. So make sure you stop by the supermarket today and make a batch of my mushroom and spinach low carb lasagne for your lunches this week. Each serve is about 300 calories and packed with vegetables. It feels like you’re really indulging in a treat meal but you actually aren’t. Major health win right there.
- 500 grams of mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 500 grams of frozen spinach
- 1kg of sweet potato, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of thyme, removed from stalks and finely chopped
- 1 small bunch of basil, finely chopped
- 400 gm can of diced tomato
- 2½ cups of low fat milk
- 1½ tablespoons of cornflour
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- ½ cup of grated parmesan
- Olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- Place slices of sweet potato on oven trays and bake for 20 mintues in a 200 degree celcius oven.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add onions and cook until soft. Add garlic and thyme and cook for about 8 minutes until moisture has evaporated.
- Remove frozen spinach from boxes and place in a ceramic dish. Microwave on high for 6 to 10 minutes until defrosted. Run the spinach under cold water to cool it down, then using your hands, squeeze out the excess moisture and set the spinach aside.
- Combine cornflour and ¼ of the milk in a jug. Pour remaining milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil on high. Whisk in the cornflour and milk mixture and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Spray an 8 cup oven proof dish with olive oil spray. Cover the base of the dish with baked sweet potato slices. Combine spinach and tinned tomatoes. Layer tomato and spinach combination on top of sweet potato. Next, add the white sauce, sprinkle with chopped basil, then layer on the mushrooms. Sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese.
- Bake in 180 degree celcius oven for 1 hour. Allow it to sit for ten minutes then slice lasange into 6 even portions. Store left overs in the fridge.
If you need a little bit of lunch inspiration for this week, check out these posts from the Smaggle archives –
Get on it you gorgeous little Smagglets. Set yourself a challenge to take your lunch to work every day this week. It’ll save you cash dollars AND calories which is obviously extremely awesome.